At the turn of the 20th century we saw a lot of speculation that, thanks to the automobile, the horse could very well be extinct by the year 2000. The excerpt below comes from the October 19, 1890 Chillicothe Constitution (Chillicothe, MO).
As one watches an electric motor, does he wonder whether a hundred years hence a horse will not be as rare as a camel or an elephant is to-day?
Previously on Paleo-Future:
- Future of Steam (1889)
- Predictions for 1993 (1893)
- What May Happen in the Next Hundred Years (Ladies Home Journal, 1900)
- In the Twentieth Century (1901)
- More Predictions of a 14-Year-Old (1901)
- French Prints Show the Year 2000 (1910)